Monday, January 17, 2011

Blogworthy by megan

It has been a long time since I have picked up a book and been entirely captivated and in awe from beginning to end. I have had Same Kind of Different as Me sitting on my nightstand for almost two years now, and when "Blizzard 2011" hit Atlanta, I figured it was the perfect time to crack it open. My mother-in-law gave me this book to read, but, well, life got in the way and I never got to it. For some reason I feel like God didn't want me to read it two years ago. But he wanted me to read it now, and it resonated with me. It's about two "nobodies" in the world who become "somebodies" and the woman responsible for their most unlikely friendship. This piece of non-fiction is just one of so many examples of how God works in this world; he works through millionaires like Ron Hall just the same way he works through the homeless and impoverished like Denver Moore.
While Shawn sat and watched the NFL playoffs this weekend, I sat in the recliner with my cocker spaniel and my box of kleenex serving as my bookends-- my stabilizers. I cried my eyes out, not because it was a sad tale (which it was in parts), but because it was a tale of God at work through these two men who didn't want to be put to work. They had no say in the matter, but they decided to trust and let God lead the way. Pretty powerful stuff.

The other book I read while snowed in for a week was Speak. I have been wanting to read this because I want to incorporate it into what I teach my 9th graders this semester. It is perfect for high schoolers-- an easy read with topics such high school cliques, where to sit at lunch, not wanting to walk to the pep rally alone, parties, peer pressure, and the list goes on and on. It's about a girl with a secret. This secret has ruined her socially and continues to eat away at her to where her relationship with her parents is dissolving as well. It is a great story that I think my 9th graders will really enjoy this semester.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Megan!

I am so glad you told me about your blog. I have loved looking at every post. I feel like I know Miss Phoebe so well now. I LOVE the "Paci Fairy". I think we will be having her visit us one day, too! Can't wait to see you soon.
Love, Polly

Anita Pope said...

Ha, HA... No this blog called Kelly's Korner was hosting show us your singles. So some of us wanted to add my friend. She actually has been talking to a guy and they are supposed to meet in a month. YEAH!!
How are you?

Unknown said...

I LOVE Speak. It's such a great story of how the teen mind works and what it's like to be ostracized by peers in high school. Laurie Halse Anderson also wrote WinterGirls about a high schooler with an eating disorder and her interactions with her friends, her parents, step-parents and step-sister, and change. It's not as great as Speak, but it's still really good.