Monday, February 14, 2011

Blogworthy by megan

Okay, so maybe this isn't so "blogworthy," but I felt the need to blog nonetheless. The past seven days, in fact tonight is the eve of the last week's onset, I have been bound to my bed clinging to any amount of strength in my body. I was attacked by the flu. I don't mean that the bug came , swooped in for 24 hours, did its thing, and took off. No, no. This bug got me good. So good, in fact that I wound up in the hospital last week begging for some relief from all the "perks" the flu has to offer. After roughly six hours, a wonderful clear bag of magic fluid, several tubes of blood, a portly nurse that reminded me of my grandmother, some "What about here?" and "When I do this... any pain?" type questions, some waiting, a doctor whose glasses were so thick it made me a bit nervous (honestly), a few warm blankets to ease the chill of those rooms, and an explanation of what to do to get better, I was on my way home to recover.

I will admit that through all the discomfort that comes with an ER visit, there was a laughable moment at the end. In fact, it really was quite funny (and that's not the magic fluid talking, either). As the nurse was discharging me, she was going over some information on some papers about what to eat and taking it easy the next several days. I was kind of listening, but she really caught my attention when she said, "And there is to be no sexual activity until you are released."

Was she kidding? Like released from the ER? She actually had to tell me that in my disgusting, greasy hair, cotton mouth, dehydrated state that I should not engage in "sexual activity" until I am released???? I burst out laughing. I looked at my poor, equally exhausted, starving husband, and said, "Babe, you are going to have to wait until we exit the hospital before you even think about it." I mean, is that actually a problem to where they have to make that clear on the discharge paperwork? Can people really not wait until they are discharged? I just had to laugh. It was good to laugh.

It has been seven days, and I am still not 100%. I went to school today but I only made it half the day. I am slowly getting better... slowly.

No comments: